SAMPLING BULK BUILDING MATERIALS FOR ASBESTOS
While it is recommended that asbestos sampling is performed by a certified consultant, home owners may take their own samples if they would like to know more information about the materials in their home. General requirements for the sampling of Asbestos can also be found in the WorkSafe BC publication “Safe Work Practices For Handling Asbestos” and should be followed by anyone taking Asbestos samples to ensure they are doing so safely and collecting the proper amount of samples from the right location.
SUBMITTING BULK ASBESTOS SAMPLES FOR ANALYSIS
When submitting samples to Sarcova Industries Inc. please ensure:
• All samples are in sealed in separate bags, free from any debris outside of the sealed bag (i.e. no dust or materials outside the bag)
• The batch of samples is bundled together in such a way that the no samples are opened if the package is shaken lightly (eg. The sample batch is placed in a larger sealed bag)
• A completed Chain Of Custody (COC) form is securely attached to the sample batch
The COC for submission of Bulk asbestos samples can be found on our forms page, as well as at the link below.
SAMPLING AIR FOR ASBESTOS CONTENT
Air samples should be collected by an inspector who has completed the NIOSH 582 or an equivalent course which details the sampling process as well as how to choose which samples to take and where to take them. Samples of air for asbestos content are collected using a cassette which contains a filter that traps the asbestos fibers as well as other fibers and particulate matter. Proper personal protective equipment should be worn when collecting air samples for asbestos content and the guidelines set out by local regulatory bodies should be followed at all times.
SUBMITTING AIR SAMPLES FOR ASBESTOS CONTENT
When submitting air cassette samples to the laboratory please ensure the following:
• All cassettes are free of any dust or debris on their outer casing, excess dust or debris can contaminate samples as well as posing a risk to analysis personnel
• All samples and blanks have been bundled together in such a way that they can be easily recognized as part of the same sample batch.
• A completed Chain of Custody form accompanies the samples when they are submitted.
The COC for the submission of air cassettes for asbestos analysis can be found on our forms page as well as the link below.